From: T. S. Eliot Discussion forum. [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf
Of Nancy Gish
Sent: Friday, November 25, 2011 4:55 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Query

It was quoted by Professor Theodor Spencer during a lecture at Harvard and
is on p. 1 of the Facsimile edition of TWL:

"Various critics have done me the honour to interpret the poem in terms of
criticism of the contemporary world, have considered it, indeed, as an
important bit of social criticism. To me it was only the relief of a
personal and wholly insignificant grouse against life; it is just a piece of
rhymical grumbling."

I think that is the one you mean. There are other comments--like saying he
regretted sending a generation of critics off on a wild-goose chase after
[grail legends or those allusions]--I'd have to find the exact words.

Nancy

>>> Carrol Cox <[log in to unmask]> 11/25/11 4:32 PM >>>
Eliot rejected the idea that TWL represented the loss of illusions of a
generation, his rejection including a sneer at those who had no illusions to

lose -- something like that. Could someone provide me with the correct
quotation.

Thanks in advance.

Carrol