On 11/12/2011 10:36 AM, Nancy Gish wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">
Well, Eliot said it was the state of his mind--or words to that effect. He said it more than once.  If we dismiss his testimony

 I didn't dismiss his testimony. Why say I did? His state of mind -- his suffering at that time -- was material out of which he created TWL. All I'm saying (besides that "underpin" is too vague to have much of a dispute over)is that the process of creation, which CR quoted, the "intensity of the artistic process" creating "a significant new art emotion," is the proper focus of the poem. Saying so does not exclude looking to "his state of mind" in one's reading of the poem -- in some measure it necessitates it --  but it does focus better what a constructive reading of the poem will be organized upon.

[log in to unmask]" type="cite">
(as one of those literary critics who do not know what is the true way to read?),

 I guess we should keep an open mind? Let's face it, you think an awful lot of literary critics, or at least every one I ever bring up, is wrong. Right? Surely you don't think there is anything wrong, then, with your own "way of reading" being questioned or proclaimed wanting? It is what you do to others every time you dismiss them for one reason or another.

[log in to unmask]" type="cite">
we may be left with a poem largely "underpinned" rather that simply edited by Ezra Pound

 Really, the chances for that seem to be less than slim and not more than none, Pound's envious groan of admiration for the finished poem being just an initial solid indicator. Not to mention, finally, "Whatever you do, read him."

Ken A

[log in to unmask]" type="cite">

>>> Ken Armstrong <[log in to unmask]>11/12/11 8:45 AM >>>
Granting that "underpin" is not a very exact word here, the "state of mind" in which the pearl of the poem is produced is not the process that produces the poem. What's central to the poem as poem is that process.

Ken A