On 11/12/2011 10:36 AM, Nancy Gish wrote:
> Well, Eliot said it was the state of his mind--or words to that
> effect. He said it more than once.  If we dismiss his testimony

  I didn't dismiss his testimony. Why say I did? His state of mind --
his suffering at that time -- was material out of which he created TWL.
All I'm saying (besides that "underpin" is too vague to have much of a
dispute over)is that the process of creation, which CR quoted, the
"intensity of the artistic process" creating "a significant new art
emotion," is the proper focus of the poem. Saying so does not exclude
looking to "his state of mind" in one's reading of the poem -- in some
measure it necessitates it --  but it does focus better what a
constructive reading of the poem will be organized upon.

> (as one of those literary critics who do not know what is the true way
> to read?),

  I guess we should keep an open mind? Let's face it, you think an awful
lot of literary critics, or at least every one I ever bring up, is
wrong. Right? Surely you don't think there is anything wrong, then, with
your own "way of reading" being questioned or proclaimed wanting? It is
what you do to others every time you dismiss them for one reason or
another.

> we may be left with a poem largely "underpinned" rather that simply
> edited by Ezra Pound

  Really, the chances for that seem to be less than slim and not more
than none, Pound's envious groan of admiration for the finished poem
being just an initial solid indicator. Not to mention, finally,
"Whatever you do, read him."

Ken A