PLEASE POST: CALL FOR PAPERS

The Binghamton University German Studies Colloquium

Doppelgängers and Fraternal Twins: Translations in German Studies

April 20-21, 2012

Submission Deadline: January 31, 2012

Binghamton University SUNY/Department of German and Russian Studies

The 2012 Binghamton University German Studies Colloquium theme is translation: Translations play a crucial role in German Studies, which increasingly addresses an audience with little or no knowledge of German. At the same time, translation has made new material accessible to students in an unprecedented manner. From literary texts to feature films, news outlets and popular websites, YouTube, Google and Netflix, we now encounter a rich range of German sources – all in translation.  Of course, there are some who frown upon this turn away from a German-language focus.  These are only some of the questions we seek to explore in the 2012 Binghamton University German Studies Colloquium:

We invite submissions of individual proposals and complete panels (in German or English) on “Doppelgängers and Fraternal Twins: Translations in German Studies.” Please submit an approximately one-page abstract with a one-paragraph biographical note or a panel proposal with three abstracts and three biographies (presentations should be no longer than twenty minutes with three presentations per panel) by January 31, 2012 to Neil Christian Pages at [log in to unmask] or Harald Zils at [log in to unmask]. We welcome submissions from professional translators, editors, publishers and all those interested in translation in German Studies.

* * *

Now in its third year, the Binghamton University German Studies Colloquium (BUGSC) provides a forum for conversation and exchange among scholars, teachers, students, translators and others interested in German Studies. It seeks to foster collaboration among and across programs, departments, disciplines and institutions. BUGSC will take place on Friday, April 20 and Saturday, April 21, 2012 on the Binghamton University campus in Binghamton, NY. Panels will begin on Friday, followed by a keynote lecture on Friday evening. The conference will continue on Saturday morning and close with a lunch and a workshop that will address translation in practical and theoretical terms. Information on the keynote speaker and the workshop will follow.

Further information can be found at: http://upstategs.binghamton.edu/2012/

--
Neil Christian Pages
Associate Professor of German and Comparative Literature
Binghamton University SUNY
Department of German and Russian Studies
P.O. Box 6000
Binghamton, NY 13902-6000 U.S.A.

Tel. 607.777.3308
Fax. 607.777.2658
******************* The German Studies Call for Papers List Editor: Stefani Engelstein Assistant Editor: Olaf Schmidt Sponsored by the University of Missouri Info available at: http://grs.missouri.edu/resources/gerlistserv.html