CALL FOR PAPERS

University of Pennsylvania

Department of Germanic Languages and Literatures

Graduate Student Conference 2012

Minority ReportsRepresenting Social Identity in (New) Media

February 24, 2012

New modes of mass communication stimulate evolution in non-dominant group identity while also fostering innovation inminority (self-)representation.  This has been the case for centuries: from depictions of “das böse Weib” in 17th century broadsheets to the emergence of Yiddish-language Facebook groups, technological progress alters the landscape of language and identity.  Our conference aims to investigate the specific ways in which new media engender new visual and textual representations of minority status. We will focus on material from across the Germanic languages from the Early Modern period to the present day. We invite submissions that may engage with, but are not limited to, the following topics:

Please send your 250-300 word abstracts in both in the body of the e-mail and as a *.doc or *.docx attachment to Sonia Gollance and Maya Vinokour at [log in to unmask] by January 5, 2012. Submissions should include the paper title, author’s name, affiliation, and e-mail address.

--
Sonia Gollance
Germanic Languages and Literatures
University of Pennsylvania