CALL FOR PAPERS

University of Pennsylvania

Department of Germanic Languages and Literatures

Graduate Student Conference 2012

*Minority Reports**: Representing Social Identity in (New) Media*

*February 24, 2012*

New modes of mass communication stimulate evolution in non-dominant group
identity while also fostering innovation inminority (self-)representation.
This has been the case for centuries: from depictions of “das böse Weib” in
17th century broadsheets to the emergence of Yiddish-language Facebook
groups, technological progress alters the landscape of language and
identity.  Our conference aims to investigate the specific ways in which
new media engender new visual and textual representations of minority
status. We will focus on material from across the Germanic languages from
the Early Modern period to the present day. We invite submissions that may
engage with, but are not limited to, the following topics:

   -       Legal implications of minority status in moments of transition
   to new(er) media
   -       Censorship
   -       Immigration
   -       Minor Germanic languages in transition
   -       Creation of new minorities within existing ones or within
   previously     homogeneous populations
   -       Changes in representation of and by minority groups in the
   digital age
   -       Interactions between minority and majority groups
   -       Gender, race, and class as minority terms
   -       Political cartoons/ broadsheets

Please send your 250-300 word abstracts in both in the body of the e-mail
and as a *.doc or *.docx attachment to Sonia Gollance and Maya Vinokour at
[log in to unmask] by January 5, 2012. Submissions should include
the paper title, author’s name, affiliation, and e-mail address.

--
Sonia Gollance
Germanic Languages and Literatures
University of Pennsylvania