Dear MoBirders,

Thank You to All those who Responded to my Question, Most Especially Mariel Stephenson for Posting the Telephone Number for the MU Raptor Rehabilitation Center... Thank You...

Now to what I Found:  I was Working in the Knob Noster Area (Johnson County) and Travelling to Windsor at around 12:30pm, when I Noticed another "Dead" Hawk/Owl/Bird on the Edge of the Road, but as I passed it, it Looked "Different" to me...??? I decided to turn around and Drove past it slowly this time and then I Saw that it Wasn't Dead, it was a BARRED OWL and it was Looking Directly at me!!! I Quickly found a nearby pull-in area and walked down to where the Owl was, it was right on the Edge of the Road and a somewhat Narrow one at that... I Knew that if I left it there that it would be Hit again and or Flattened in no time (I'm Suprised that it wasn't already - Most Likely it had been Hit the Night before or this Morning...), I knew that I had to do something... So, I slowly walked toward the Owl and stopped around 8' away and Talked to it (Yes, I Know that I'm Strange...), I was Expecting it to Try to Get Away from me or at least Express Anger/Fear, but it didn't, it just Looked at me... I then Moved Closer, and then even Closer, Talking to it all the while until I was right next to it... Again, all it did was Look at me... Then I Knelt Down and Talked to it some more, and put my Hand out towards it to See what it would do - Figuring that it would Try to Get Away or Snap at me, but it didn't... Finally, I Took my Sweatshirt off and slowly moved it toward the Owl and as I did, it slowly Layed down in front of me, I then Gently put my Sweatshirt Over it's Body and Wrapped it around it (so it Wouldn't Hurt me or itself...) and Carried it back to my Van, where I Wrapped my Coat around it as well... All the time that I did this, it Never Tried to Get Away, Fight, Bite, Call, Move or Anything, it just Looked at me... I Know that it was Most Likely in Shock, Dazed or whatever, which is Why it Didn't React to my coming up to it, but I would also like to Believe that sometimes a Creature Knows when another "Creature" is Trying to Help and Means No Harm, and so Chooses Not to Fight...

Anyway, Regardless of the Reasons, after 4 Hours in the Back of my Van (I Still had to Finish my Work Day...), and a few attempts at Trying to Find a Veterinarian that would at least Take a Look or Help in some way (No one was Interested...), Amazingly, it was So Calm the entire time... I was Finally able to get ahold of MU's Raptor Rehabilitation Center and then Deliver my Important Passenger to their Caring Hands... Hopefully, they will be able to do Something for it and it will be able to be Released or at least be able to Live Out it's Life in "Relative" Comfort...

One Good Thing (I Think...), when I Delivered the Owl, it was Much More Alert and even got a little "Fiesty" when they Removed it from my Sweatshirt and Coat, so I Hope that's a Good Sign... I Must Say, that Looking into that Owl's Eyes throughout the afternoon, was Truly Awe Inspiring for me... A Wonderful, Lovely Bird... Be Well...

Once again, Thank You to those of you who Responded to my Questions, I Do Appreciate it!!! Please Take Care.

Yours,
Jonathan B. Pons
Boonville, Cooper County

ASM Website: http://mobirds.org/