Fall Greetings!

Last night on my return from Poplar Bluff, MO, I decided to take the scenic route by way of Lake Wappapello SP.

Observed once again in the evening hours (pre-sunset) were Fish Crows in substantial flocks - one small flock of 8 individuals then two other larger flocks of 22 and 28 flying over the State Park, presumably to the night roost. All calls heard were those of Fish Crows (cah-aw) not those of American Crows. The numbers were down from a few weeks ago, and the three flocks were scattered instead of overlapping each other as observed previously.

My focus was to see if the Fish Crows were still present and not for other woodland species; however, I did consciously pick up a few species. Report can be reviewed here: http://mobirds.org/CACHE/Reports/AllTrips.aspx . Scroll down to the Lake Wappapello SP report and click the Select button. The report will be at the bottom of the page.

Also of note: a semi-large flock of ~280 Greater White-fronted Geese also containing one Northern Pintail passed overhead while there.

Good Fall Birding!

Chris Barrigar

Stoddard Co.