Something bothered me about the Western grebe I saw yesterday at
Thousand Hills (adair Co.) and I got out on a boat today (10/24/11)
determined to get a photo as one can only see a silhouette from the
paved loop in the park. I got very few very distnat shots, which made
me open my bird books. The head pattern on this grebe is intermediate
between Western and Clark's, but the bill color is dull yellow-olive,
consistent with the Western. Here is the link to 4 very distant shots
combined in one image:
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/xnEmYzAQTFgk1zDdMtq15g?feat=directlink
My vote is Western grebe.
Feedback is welcome as disagreement in Clark's vs. Western IDs is
common. I would like to hear your opinions please.
Peter K.

--
Peter Kondrashov
Kirksville, MO