A hybrid is the offspring of two different species, while an intergrade is an offspring of two distinct phases/morphs/subspecies of the same species. For example, the offspring of a Mallard and Wigeon would be a hybrid, whereas the offspring of a Yellow-shafted and a Red-shafted Flicker would be an intergrade.

--- On Fri, 10/7/11, [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

From: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Flicker
To: "Larry Lade" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Friday, October 7, 2011, 1:57 PM

What is the difference between an intergrade and a hybrid?
Duh....  Kathleen

Quoting Larry Lade
 :
Just
wanted to clarify that the one flicker was an intergrade (not hybrid) bird.

--- On Thu, 10/6/11, Larry Lade

From: Larry Lade

Subject: Fun Day at
Saint Joseph Bird Banding Station Today
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Thursday, October 6, 2011, 4:27 PM

This morning Jack and I together with
Brad, Jake and Jacob (three MWSU students) netted and banded fifteen (15) birds.
As an added attraction Dana and Ethan from the Missouri River Bird Observatory
(Marshall, MO) assisted us with our presentation of bird banding operations to
23 high school students and their teachers from Central (Saint Joseph) &
Lawson, MO. The highlight seemed to be the two Northern Flickers which were
netted and banded. One was a regular, female, yellow-shafted and the other
appeared to be a hybrid yellow X red-shafted female bird. Close examination
determined that the Philadelphia Vireo/Warbling Vireo (?) was indeed a Warbling
by looking closely at the # 10 primary feather. (Longer on the Warbling compared
to the Philadelphia.) Other birds for the kids to observe up close and personal
were House Wren, Field Sparrow, Orange-crowned Warbler, Northern Cardinal and
American Robin. (I may have forgotten some of the birds, as I do not have a list
of them at hand right now.) A Cooper's Hawk flew over our area a couple of times
while we were banding.

After the banding, Dr. John Rushin took the
students afield for further natural science adventures.

Larry Lade
Saint Joseph, MO
gcrownkinglet AT yahoo DOT
ASM Fall Meeting, September 23 - 25, 2011 at Camp Clover Point, Lake of the
Ozarks State Park, http://mobirds.org/Meetings/