From: Tom Colket <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, October 12, 2011 7:37 AM
Subject: Re: The Jew in Eliot's poetry (was Re: Eliot and literary culture)

CR:

What started the exchange was this post from you:

CR> IMHO, it is a particular section of the jewish race that
CR> lends itself to satire in Eliot's poetry

And now you write:

CR> I choose not to elaborate on that, Tom. So you'll excuse me.

Obviously you are under no obligation to respond to my posts.

That being said, there are a few comments I would like to make:

1) You use the Internet abbreviation "IMHO", short for "In my humble opinion". Yet your opinions are not stated humbly. Rather, they are stated with total self-assurance, arrogance, and smugness. If you are challenged by contradictory evidence, you ignore the arguments being made and stop discussing the very points that you yourself raised on a _discussion_ list. This list is not Twitter: if you are just going to 'tweet' a line about Eliot, without discussion, and without answering any challenges to your "humble opinions", you are wasting my time.

2) Judaism is a religion, not a race. Judaism recognizes conversion, so belonging to the religion cannot be purely racial (you cannot convert to another race).

3) Capitalizing the word "Jewish" is a traditional sign of respect.

-- Tom --