From: Ken Armstrong <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Monday, October 10, 2011 8:20 AM
Subject: Re: Eliot and literary culture

Nancy Gish wrote:

> . But the concluding evaluation is a bit exaggerated: "the literary mind par exellence" would be more convincing with "a" in place of "the." He was not "the" only great mind of his time even if he was possibly exceptionally influential, partly because, as editor of Faber and Faber, he was able to define who mattered, and he did not hesitate to assert his own judgment.

  POSSIBLY??? Because he was an editor!? God help us.  Anyhow, call for "diverse readings" all you want; one of them would certainly be that Eliot was "the literary mind par excellence." Many "educated and continuing readers of Eliot" have said so, contrary to what many advocates of "diverse readings" prefer to believe. You want to privilege one side of the rift; CR the other. You don't need to control all threads to pursue your interests. Cowley awaits. For myself, I'm reminded of Ted Hughes' "Dancer to God" and will review that piece that I've not seen for some years.

Ken A