Marjorie Perloff's views (and, indirectly, Ron Schuchard's) are well worth reading

http://marjorieperloff.com/articles/ronald-schuchard/

On 18 October 2011 19:11, Rickard A. Parker <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
On 10/15/2011 8:44 AM, Tom Colket wrote:
Nancy and Ken,

I do not have a full reading of Gerontion, but maybe I can contribute to
a discussion.

I've been thinking more about these lines :

My house is a decayed house,
And the Jew squats on the window sill, the owner,
Spawned in some estaminet of Antwerp,
Blistered in Brussels, patched and peeled in London.

I'm pretty far behind the conversation now with what I had intended to
send earlier but with Ken's posting of
>   Just to highlight a couple of his points about Burbank:Bleistein, the
>   poem is a poem of masks, with Eliot playing the roles of the two main
>   characters who are if effect opposite sides of the same (banker's) coin.
this is not coming too late.

One of the links I sent in my post about the Jew being a objective
correlative was to a page in in book by Marjorie Perloff.
  Differentials: poetry, poetics, pedagogy
  http://books.google.com/books?id=dX1wu6vA1SMC&pg=PA30
In that section Perloff had spent about two pages discussing Eliot's
being a foreigner in England and not feeling at home in America. She
saw Eliot using the landlord as a symbol of himself. To quote a bit:
  We see the speaker threatened by a "Jew" who, far from being a
  successful grasping landlord, squeezing money out of poor old
  Gerontion, is himself a squatter, a victim of poverty, misery,
  and disease, a figure who in Julius's words, "becomes what he expels"
  Squatting on the window sill, he belongs neither inside the "decayed
  house," nor can he escape its precincts.

As I think about this I can see why TSE didn't put the Jew in a
doorway, too easy to pass through, and why the Jew is *squatting* in
the window, it's an uncomfortable position.

Regards,
  Rick Parker