Greetings Birding Friends!

Mark your calendars and plan ahead!

Sending an early reminder about the Bird Watcher's Digest (FREE) event called The Big Sit . . . touted as bird watching's most sedentary event is scheduled for October 9th . . . worldwide. If unfamiliar with this event, it is where we (birders of all skill levels) park our tuckuses in one spot through the course of 24 hours while watching for, listening to and documenting all species observed from that location. Some call it one great big birding tailgate party bringing food and even grilling out with friends and family while taking part in something they love!

The event is scheduled for October 9th, and once again Big Oak Tree State Park (located south of East Prairie) has been most gracious in allowing us the use of the park for our team circle location. Our team name is Mosquito Fodder, but don't let the name fool you. In most recent past events, Mosquitoes were a non-issue, but just in case, we'll have enough bug repellant to go around for the participants. The amount of time you wish to spend in the circle is entirely up to you/your schedule. I tentatively plan to be there at about 4:30 a.m. throughout the day and into the evening hours ~5:30-6:30 p.m. (depending on turnout of birders and birds).

The link to Big Oak Tree SP Google map: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=big+oak+tree+state+park&hl=en&ll=36.638672,-89.301682&spn=0.147661,0.22007&fb=1&gl=us&cid=0,0,6382576366345295765&t=h&z=12&vpsrc=6

Driving directions from Cape Girardeau: http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Cape+Girardeau,+MO&daddr=Big+Oak+Tree+State+Park,+East+Prairie,+MO&hl=en&ll=36.978421,-89.420471&spn=1.17605,1.760559&sll=36.647642,-89.301789&sspn=0.009228,0.013754&geocode=FRw-OQIdvA-q-in7d8-UNoV3iDGSX406_xyQgA%3BFR8uLwIdeVqt-iGVl9CLY3eTWA&vpsrc=6&gl=us&mra=ls&t=h&z=9

Previous Big Oak Tree SP Big Sit results can be found here:
53 species in 2007: http://www.birdwatchersdigest.com/bwdsite/connect/bigsit/2007/stats.php?find_type=circle&find=Mosquito+fodder
50 species in 2008: http://www.birdwatchersdigest.com/bwdsite/connect/bigsit/2008/stats.php?find_type=circle&find=Mosquito+Food
61 species in 2009: http://www.birdwatchersdigest.com/bwdsite/connect/bigsit/2009/stats.php?find_type=circle&find=mofo
49 species in 2010: http://www.birdwatchersdigest.com/bwdsite/connect/bigsit/2010/stats.php?find_type=circle&find=mofo

Here is a link to Bird Watcher's Digest's - The Big Sit website: http://www.birdwatchersdigest.com/bwdsite/connect/bigsit/index.php

You can create your own circle/team and have a Big Sit event in your yard, local park or where ever your favorite haunt is located by registering your circle here: http://www.birdwatchersdigest.com/bwdsite/connect/bigsit/register.php

Event Guidelines can be found here: http://www.birdwatchersdigest.com/bwdsite/connect/bigsit/rules.php

Feel free to contact me with questions and comments.

Last year Dennis Wheeler brought some awesome chilli to share! All are invited and welcome into our circle! Hope to see a number of you there and joining in the fun!

Good Birding!

Chris Barrigar

Stoddard Co.