The Columbia field trip to Tower Grove, Riverlands and Confluence Pt. SP was a great success, even though the birds were few.

As Spencer Tracy said of Katherine Hepburn in a movie, "There's not much to her, but what's there is churce (choice)."

All had excellent looks at a Veery at Tower Grove.  Later, we had fine looks at a Baird's Sandpiper, Red-necked Phalarope, the cormorant roost, many Stilt Sandpipers, an imm. Little Blue Heron, and Eurasian Tree Sparrows.  Among these were lifers for some.

The weather was perfect.

The hospitality of the many St. Louis area birders who greeted us and shared birding time was up to the usual highest of standards.  Thank you to all of you for helping make our day very special.

And speaking of very special, what a treat it was to see, speak with and share birding with Red and Louise Gambill.  This legendary pair are in that elite group of topnotch birders--those whose diligence, many years of experience, and commitment to sharing knowledge earn them a place in my imaginary Birding Hall of Fame.  Red and Louise's knowledge of the Rio Grande Valley is a cornerstone of what has made Texas/Valley birding so popular and rewarding for thousands of birders.

Thanks, Red and Louise.  I now have another memory of shared birding to bring a smile on "cooped up" days.

Edge Wade
Columbia, MO