Kyle McCommis and I headed out to do some fishing this morning, but we also birded as the opportunity arose. At Franklin Island CA (Howard Co.) around dawn we saw several dozen DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANTS, 16 CATTLE EGRETS, hundreds of BANK/BARN/NORTHERN ROUGH-WINGED SWALLOWS and a single NORTHERN PINTAIL. We also got an EASTERN SCREECH-OWL to respond to my whistling, which brought us a small flock of birds including a PROTHONOTARY WARBLER, a ROSE-BREASTED GROSBEAK, a couple AMERICAN REDSTARTS and a PHILADELPHIA VIREO.

Later, at the Overton Bottoms unit of Big Muddy NWR (Cooper Co.) we were thrilled by a MERLIN. We also had a couple of SOLITARY SANDPIPERS, a WHITE-EYED VIREO and a BLACK-BILLED CUCKOO.

Good birding,
Ryan

Ryan Douglas
Postdoctoral Fellow