I found my first migrant warblers of the fall in our backyard this morning (Boone Co.). I went out to refill the feeders when I heard some mobbing going on in the woods. I headed back there to find a huge group of birds pestering a BARRED OWL. The flock included a MOURNING WARBLER and a BLACKBURNIAN WARBLER. Possibly local birds that probably don't breed behind our house included WILLOW WARBLER and FIELD SPARROW. Other notable  birds in the flock: NORTHERN PARULA, YELLOW-THROATED WARBLER, KENTUCKY WARBLER, BLACK-AND-WHITE WARBLER, AMERICAN REDSTART, ACADIAN FLYCATCHER, GREAT CRESTED FLYCATCHER and WORM-EATING WARBLER.

Hopefully the strong north winds predicted for tonight through Monday will blow some more migrants our way!

Good birding,
Ryan

Ryan Douglas
Postdoctoral Fellow