This is fascinating. It seems hardly possible that Eliot would not have known of her film. Did you find any links on that?
Nancy

>>> "Rickard A. Parker" <[log in to unmask]> 09/10/11 7:40 AM >>>
In 1920 or 1921 Countess Marie Larisch (TWL's Marie)
played herself in the silent movie "Kaiserin Elisabeth
von Österreich." She was 40 years older than than the
actress Carla Nelsen who portrayed her aunt, Empress
Elisabeth (who was really about 20 years her senior.)
I went looking for Marie on Youtube and found a short
clip from the film showing the assassination of
Elisabeth.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbRg7ZzBWvQ

I didn't find Marie in this movie though so I changed
some search terms and came up with Marie as portrayed
in the Austrian musical "Rudolf." It looks as though
the whole musical is online in a series of clips (with
English subtitles.) Here is a link to "Rudolf" - part
15/19 where the first 6 minutes has Rudolf giving a
speech (partly in song) about Europe's democratic
future. Marie makes her appearance at about 5:45 in
to sing her worries. It appears that the cast was
selected to all have forehead deformities but they
are actually wearing microphones there.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VylcLGxs0ps

Here is a picture of the real Marie and Mary Vetsera
together at the time:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Larisch-%26-Vetsera.jpg

Regards,
Rick Parker