I certainly appreciate Guinness's reading of TWL - this was a real inspiration to me in the 80's only equaled by the stage performance in London with Fox, Gough & Aitkens - some of the latter was also on VHS but no longer on U tube, I believe.

Mike
----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Chokh Raj
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday, September 02, 2011 2:47 AM
Subject: Re: Poetry in 'The Family Reunion'

I don't think Guinness is enacting any character in the play. And if he is not doing that, he is not supposed to be reading the lines after any character. Apparently he has picked up lines from the play which appeal to him as poetry, and he renders them as as poetry after his own fashion. Taken independently of the play, I can visualize Eliot reading them in the selfsame manner.

Regards,
  CR