From: Chokh Raj <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Monday, September 12, 2011 10:50 PM
Subject: Re: Eliot vis-a-vis the mystic 3

some more thought

I was just exploring why Eliot chose to drop the initial "Om" from the closing incantation of TWL.

Well, the reason could simply be prosodic -- the poet would be governed by his new requirements of rhythm.

He would also quite obviously find the triple incantation "Shantih shantih shantih" quite apposite beside the preceding three-fold mantra "Datta. Dayadhvam. Damayata".

He would, of course, uphold tradition without sounding too pedantic.

Above all, Eliot has his own manner of borrowing material. He borrows in snatches -- suggestive, terse, parts standing for wholes.

I'm not sure Eliot dropped "Om" (the logos of revealed truth) to suggest the poem had not reached a point of full illumination -- a view advanced by Cleo McNelly Kearns ('T.S. Eliot and Indic Traditions: A Study of Poetry and Belief', 1987).  It could albeit suggest the wastelanders are not yet ready for the grace of mystic light. The poet, therefore, makes his prayer for peace in terms that might carry conviction with them.

Thanks,
 CR