On 9/9/2011 4:22 PM, David Boyd wrote:
> Have always seen the 'hurry up......' exhortations as 'voices off'' and so
> commonplace to an English pub session as not to be too relevant at all  as
> to the gender or whatever of the person in charge of the bar - surely this
> matters not a jot  ?
>
> Of course there is irony and ambiguity in this context in the words it's
> time', but 'Time Gentlemen Please !' and 'Can we please have yer glasses'
> are / were very very commonplace cries at the (enforced) hour of closing of
> UK bars and pubs, and Eliot's portrayal just at one level provides
> authenticity for the whole working class pub session scenario.

Any non-frivolous discussion of the lines _begins_ with taking  David's
point for granted. That's where interpretation begins, fitting the
bartender's words first into the conversation it interrupts, then into
the framework of that section of the poem, and (skipping a couple steps)
into the obsession with time that characterizes Eliot's poetic work.
Trying to take the words away from the bartender, or fussing about the
speaker's gender seems like a deliberate attempt to disrupt  discussion.
And when such disruptions begin to characterize almost all list
conversation, you have the death of the list as a serious response to
Eliot or even  as light entertainmenbt for those interested in the poems
rather than the sound of their own voices in an echo chamber.

Carrol