Probably there is no definitive reading of a cookbook recipe. But that
really is of no relevance. Because there are certainly readings of any
given text that only a damn fool would propound. I don't quite
understand why anyone would think there was anything profound or even
interesting in the statement that "There is no definitive reading of X."
It's trivial and simply doesn't butter any parsnips. One-line readings
of almost anything  but particularly of complex literary texts almost
always belong to the catgory of readings which only a damn fool would
annoy his/her company with.

Carrol