Re 'Family Reunion', this struck a big chord, 'cos I've been revisiting a
little book by a little-known northern english modern poet, Norman
Nicholson, who, barely out of his 20s, published a far-ranging eng. lit.
critucal work called 'Man and Literature'

Nicholson had been blown-away on first encountering Eliot's work; in case of
interest. paste below his take from 60+ years ago on 'The Family Reunion'

*.....................................in The Family Reunion, where it
appears*

*among other themes. Before the play opened, Harry was married,*

*but his wife fell off the deck of a liner at sea and was drowned.*

*From that time he has been obsessed with the idea that he had*

*pushed her off, and his consciousness of guilt had followed him in*

*the shape of the Furies, the Eumenides. He flies from them all*

*over the world, but cannot escape them, and at last returns to his*

*home, hoping that he will find refuge in the surroundings of his*

*childhood. But the Eumenides pursue him even here. Among the*

*collection of uncles and aunts (a very dull lot from the dramatic*

*point of view) who are at the family house is Agatha, a spinster*

*and principal of a woman's college, who as a girl had been in love*

*with Harry's father and he with her. She tells Harry that just*

*before he was born his father had planned to murder his mother.*

*It becomes clear then that this is the beginning of the family curse*

*which has haunted Harry, and that the wish of his father had been*

*the cause of his obsession with a similar sin. He begins to see that*

*he may not have murdered his wife at all.............................*
regards

david