Error during command authentication.

Error - unable to initiate communication with LISTSERV (errno=10061, phase=CONNECT, target=127.0.0.1:2306). The server is probably not started. LISTSERV 16.0 - SERIES-L Archives

Posted on behalf of Jeanne Zucker, Children's Materials Cataloger at
Abington (Pa.) Township Public Library ...

I have a question about creating new series. I often encounter-- mostly with
juvenile materials-- series in which the title of the work begins with the
name of the primary character, and each subsequent title also begins with
that name. It seems that, in cases where the stories are not in sequence
(e.g., Marc Tolon Brown’s Arthur books, Norman Bridwell’s Clifford books,
etc.), series entries are generally not created.

But for juvenile fiction where the stories are arranged in a sequence,
series entries are frequently (but not always!) created.

For example:

Theodosia and the Serpents of Chaos
Theodosia and the Staff of Osiris
Theodosia and the Eyes of Horus
Theodosia and the Last Pharaoh

However, the following are all series: the Mercy Watson books by Kate
DiCamillo, the Marvin Redpost series by Louis Sachar, the Cam Jansen books
by David Adler, while the Judy Moody books by Megan McDonald, the Captain
Underpants by Dav Pilkey & the Sammy Keyes books by Wendelin Van Draanen are
not.

It can seem like overkill to create a series when all of the titles begin
with the same (main) character’s name but when local systems (such as ours)
have a separate Series index, we wonder whether or not to create such series
entries. If there is a rule, it seems to be applied inconsistently.

What are your thoughts on this matter? Is there anything in NACO
documentation or training that addresses this? We would appreciate any
guidance inasmuch as we encounter this situation frequently.