CALL FOR PAPERS:
The 2012 Telos Conference:
Space: Virtuality, Territoriality, and Relationality
January 14-15, 2012
New York City
Every day we see examples of how the Internet has released us from the
bounds of our spatial rootedness and opened up new virtual landscapes
for people all over the world. Everything near and far has become
equally accessible, and spatial distance is no longer the limitation
that it once was. But as much as the Internet and new forms of social
networking have transformed our relationship to physical space, both
political events and economic crises have also reaffirmed the
importance of territory, sovereignty, and land in determining the
conditions in which people live their daily lives. The preeminence of
the struggle for territory is as unmistakable in the continuing
conflict in Afghanistan, the street fighting of the Arab Spring, and
the agonizing border negotiations of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict
as it is in the geographical parameters of the European debt crisis
and the role of real estate in the U.S. financial crisis. These
conflicts between opposing nations, rulers and ruled, creditors and
debtors, have been about holding one's ground in a very literal way,
and the differing outcomes in various countries have demonstrated how
a virtual reality still awaits a transformation into the physicality
of the neighborhood and the street. By the same token, land claims are
based on a virtual system of relations imbedded in a particular
conception of order. Such a virtual system might be itself a kind of
colonizing force, turning the landscapes of the mind into territory to
by occupied and defined by a particular system. So the concept of
space is both eminently concrete as the struggle over land and
exceedingly abstract as the conflict between conceptual systems. In
addressing the theme of space, the 2012 Telos Conference in New York
invites papers that deal with the variety of ways in which space
defines our social, economic, political, and conceptual reality.
Topics could include: the virtualization of space by the Internet and
social networking, issues of land appropriation and sovereign space,
questions about real estate markets and finance, and the imagination
of relationality as the metaphysical essence of space.
Please submit conference paper proposals with a 200-word abstract and
a short CV by September 30, 2011, to David Pan at [log in to unmask] (Mark
the subject line "Telos conference proposal.").
Conference Registration Fee:  $145, including lunch and dinner on
January 14. Inquiries to: [log in to unmask]