Yesterday, I went out to the driving range on the north side of Jefferson City. I wasn't birding, but I did notice that a few of the regular species out there didn't seem to be around. There is a colony of cliff swallows that lives beneath the overpass, and I didn't see any of them. I also missed the dickcissels, which usually frequent the power lines on the road to the golf course. On the driving range, the meadowlarks that usually sing to keep me company were no where to be seen. In fact, all I did see in the area was 1 killdeer, a bunch of mourning doves and a pretty male kestral.

Good birding (not so good golfing),

Amy J. Hoffman
Jefferson City
Cole County