I birded the Confluence road this evening and found what appears to be a Mottled Duck.  The bird was at the far eastern edge of what is being referred to as the pipeline pool back toward the levee where all the gulls and pelicans have been hanging out the last few days.  The only other possibility would be an early Black Duck but I believe the field marks and photos rule that species out as well:

-Dark body but still a warmer brown than the blacks I have seen
-Very light uniform cream colored head
-Although not a great fieldmark, the speculum on the wings never appeared purple, only turquoise

I found the bird around 4:30 and watched it as it fed very actively with a group of about five mallards.  The bird then got up alone at about 5:30 and flew back to the flooded woods on the west side of the pipeline pool.

I have posted seven pictures of the bird in my Flickr account at

http://www.flickr.com/photos/66937005@N06/

This area is really hopping right now, other birds of interest were:

Marbled Godwit - 1
Avocet - 8
Am. Golden Plover - 2
Buff-breasted Sandpiper - 6
Peregrine Falcon - 1

Numbers of ducks seemed to build through the afternoon and by then of the day contained shovelors, both teal, mallards including one "blond" individual, and pintails

Matt Andrews