Yesterday I went to Evergreen Sod Farms in Howard county, along US Hwy 40, to look for the Upland Sandpipers and Buff-breasted Sandpipers that are normally there. Well, guess what? The sign for the sod farm is weathered to the point of not being legible and the former fields of sod are now filled with corn and soybeans. Needless to say I did not find my target species. It was late afternoon/early evening and there were a fair number of swallow circling over the corn acreage. I wonder if this location, in the MO River bottoms, might compete with the Locust Creek bottomland corn fields where thousands of swallows congregate most falls? We may still have to pay attention to this spot but for a different reason.

Good birding, Susan

Susan Hazelwood
MOBirds-L Co-Owner
Columbia, MO