Anne Downing, Bonnie Heidy and I birded areas to the southwest of Columbia on Aug. 6 & 7. Highlights follow.

8/6/11 - Friendly Prairie: 8 Henslow's Sparrows sitting up and calling.

About  mile west of US Hwy 65, on our way to Friendly Prairie (but closer to Paintbrush Prairie) we saw 2 Loggerhead Shrikes and a Scissor-tailed Flycatcher.

8/6/11 - Paintbrush Prairie: 10 Henslow's Sparrows, 1 Bell's Vireo.

8/6/11 - Montrose CA: Terrific mudflats on the west end of the lake with excellent visibility from the levee road that goes over the lake. 3 Buff-breasted Sandpipers, 3 Spotted Sandpipers, 17 Least Sandpipers, 85 Killdeer, 3 Solitary Sandpipers.

8/6/11 - 4 Snow Geese on a farm pond along Route P in Henry County.

8/6/11 - Very quiet at Taberville CA with nothing special seen.

8/6/11 - Schell-Osage CA: Water is high in the lakes, as is grass where water has been removed. Where mudflats exist they are a good walk away. 103 Great Egrets, 59 Great Blue Herons, 20 Killdeer, 11 Spotted Sandpipers, 2 Baird's Sandpipers, 5 Solitary Sandpipers, 44 Purple Martins, 60 Dickcissels in all sorts of plumages.

8/7/11 - Fly-by White-winged Dove (1) over Hwy 160 just west of Hwy NN in Barton County.

8/7/11 - Shawnee Trail CA: Very early Sprague's Pipit (1) (documentation submitted) and 1 early Olive-sided Flycatcher, 16 Bell's Vireos, 1 Swainson's Hawk.

8/7/11 - Prairie State Park: 4 Bell's Vireo, 24 Northern Bobwhite including many youngsters.

8/7/11 - Bushwhacker Lake CA: 4 Bell's Vireos, 4 Yellow Warblers (perhaps more), 64 Tree Swallows.

After seeing so many Red-winged Blackbirds and Common Grackles at Eagle Bluffs CA in southern Boone County late last week we were surprised at how few blackbirds were in the southwest part of the state. Clearly the Dickcissels which has been so abundant here in Boone County have begun moving south. Birding was generally interesting despite the intense heat.

Susan Hazelwood
Columbia, MO