Thursday we went to Monroe County looking for some new year birds.  Big miss were Black-necked Stilts.  We were there from about 845am to 2pm and visited the big pool south of the Jefferson Barracks Bridge and east of ILL 3 off Quarry Rd (is this what Dan Kassebaum referred to as American Bottoms?).  After that came Sod/Turf Farm at Steppig Rd full of Killdeer and Am Crows, no Buffies or Uplands (one Upland there last May 24).  After that Bluff Rd to Old Valmeyer and then 156 to the Levee Road past KK on to Mitchie (no water over road!), rejoined Outlet to Bluff Road and south to village of Fults, on to Kidd Lake Road and rejoined Bluff down to big quarry operation, some of us continuing on to Prairie du Rocher and Fort de Chartres to Stringtown Rd to Ivy to Bluff Rd again and back to Des Peres.
We did not spot any Black Vultures despite constant vigilance.

Partial list of birds seen (a couple heard only):
Canada Geese
Wood Ducks
Mallards (quick scope of some from Kidd Lake Rd but did not see Mottled Duck)
Pied-billed Grebe
N Bobwhite - heard call from backside of Kidd Lake but hiding as usual
AW Pelicans
DC Cormorants
Great Blue Herons
Great Egrets
Snowy Egrets
Little Blue Herons
Cattle Egret
Turkey Vultures (50+ at Mitchie) plus airborne variety
Bald Eagle on ground
Red-shouldered Hawk adult
Red-tailed Hawks adult and juvenile
Am Kestrel
Killdeer
Solitary Sandpiper
Spotted Sandpiper
Semipalmated Sandpiper
Least Sandpipers
Pectoral Sandpiper
Ring-billed Gull
Rock Pigeons
Eurasian Collared-Dove
Mourning Doves
Chimney Swift
Ruby-throated Hummingbird
Eastern Kingbirds
White-eyed Vireo heard
Blue Jay
Am Crows
Purple Martins
Tree Swallows
Bank Swallow
Cliff Swallow
WB Nuthatch heard
Am Robins
Eu Starlings
C Yellowthroats heard
Song Sparrow
N Cardinals
Indigo Buntings numerous
Dickcissels - very few
RW Blackbirds
E Meadowlark
C Grackle
Brown-headed Cowbirds
House Finch
Am Goldfinches
House Sparrows

Thanks to members of the group for excellent sightings, ID's and alerts.  Please excuse late posting and omissions and any incorrect inclusions to the list by the day's leader.

Jackie Chain
St Louis County
.

ASM Website: http://mobirds.org/