Amy.

The brown headed nuthatch is a winter bird in the south--I don't know if you'll get him early Sept.  In August one time I went with my Jackson, MS Audubon to St. Catherine's Wildlife refuge on the MS River near Natchez.  Shorebirds were everywhere--yellowlegs, plovers, stilts, avocets, sandpipers, and more I'm sure.  We also had hundreds of great egrets, snownies. great blue herons, and little blues roosting the trees and we spotted some roseate spoonbills. Wood storks were also around on that trip. I can't tell you where to go in Florida but you sure can be on the lookout fpr the shorebirds and wading birds when you find that out.

Jane Frazier
Jeff City