This afternoon I visited Forum Nature Area in Columbia (Boone Co.) from about 2:50pm-4:20pm. I counted 22+ GREEN HERONS and 83+ KILLDEER on the dried up main pond. Also on the pond were 2-3 PECTORAL SANDPIPERS, 8 LEAST SANDPIPERS, 6+ SOLITARY SANDPIPERS, 2 SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPERS, 7+ SPOTTED SANDPIPERS and a few MALLARDS. During the rain I also had a SANDERLING fly in with a group of SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPERS, but all of the birds took off and disappeared after about 90 seconds.

On my walk around the main pond I was a little surprised to find a WORM-EATING WARBLER in the brush between the trail and the pond. The only other warblers I encountered were NORTHERN PARULAS and COMMON YELLOWTHROATS. The area was absolutely full of CAROLINA WRENS, NORTHERN CARDINALS and INDIGO BUNTINGS.

Good birding,
Ryan

Ryan Douglas
Postdoctoral Fellow