Dear Birding Friends,

Burroughs Audubon, the Greater Kansas City Chapter of the National Audubon Society, has established the Robert G. Fisher Youth Education Fund in honor of Bob’s dedication to birding and the influence he had on others, both young and old, alike.  Monies donated to this fund, while not yet specifically earmarked, will be used to promote and engage youth in the wonderful pastime of bird watching. It is Burroughs Audubon’s hope that Bob’s legacy will go well beyond his life, providing opportunities to new birders, thus carrying forward his love and passion for our feathered friends. Initial ideas generated by the Board and its Donations Committee, which will oversee the Fund, include the creation of a metro-wide Youth Birding Club and continuing the expansion of the Wings Over Weston birding festival for school children and families.

Bob Fisher was a mentor who had a great depth of birding knowledge and skill.  He was full of passion and in Patrick Harrison’s words, “He was a New Yorker who lit the fire of birding in me and applied a gentle fanning of the embers over time to keep me interested and going.” After his passing, Edge Wade wrote to the Missouri LISTSERVE and said “Bob was the quintessential birder.  Highly principled, independent, ready to share birding knowledge as well as opinions.  He led, he followed, he set a high bar.  He will be missed by people who never met him in person.  He was a connection--among Missouri birders and from past to present.  He was known, respected and appreciated by birders far beyond our state borders, many with names all American birders recognize.  We owe him much.”

The next WingBeat (A Burroughs Audubon publication) will feature an article about Bob, and at the urging of one of Bob’s dear friends from Texas, it has been forwarded to Bird Watcher’s Digest and Birding Magazine.  This article will also appear in Audubon Society of Missouri’s publication The Bluebird. If you don’t receive WingBeat or The Bluebird, please contact me off list for a copy of the article.

There is no doubt that many will miss Bob Fisher and his impact on the birding community. We hope you’ll consider a gift to the Robert G. Fisher Youth Education Fund to help us continue his legacy and pass along the world of birding to future generations.  To donate to the Robert G. Fisher Youth Education Fund, please send your tax deductable donations to Burroughs Audubon Society, C/O Marilyn Koshland, 24406 Timberlake Trail, Greenwood, Missouri 64034.  Please memo: Robert G. Fisher.

Christine Kline

Board Member ~ Friends of Squaw Creek and Burroughs Audubon Society

Home/Office:  (816) 540-3515

Pleasant Hill, MO ~ Cass County

www.squawcreek.org and www.burroughs.org