Saturday, while doing kiosks work  at the Big Muddy wildlife refuge on the Mo
river bottoms near Rocheport/Overton and  on the road going to the 1st kiosk
at Overton Bottoms North, there was a single Spotted Sandpiper on the dirt
road just at the point where the road was flooded.  Also a few Blue Herons, a
Bald Eagle in the distance (and LOTS of butterflies and dragonflies for those
who enjoy these species as well).
At Overton Bottoms South, we saw a red tailed hawk soaring over the corn
fields,2 horned larks ,1 Lark Sparrow and at the old Barn, there were probably
close to 50 + Barn Swallows on the lines and on the roof (multiple species of
butterflies on the roads going in to the south part of Overton).
For those not familiar with Big Muddy, they also have a wonderful Birding check
list brochure that lists the species found on western/eastern sections of Big
Muddy; the USFWS puts this out and it is at all the kiosks at Overton Bottoms
North/South.  On Saturday there were only 2 kiosks we could not reach b/c of
Mo river flooding.

One last unrelated topic;  found a cool book called BIRD FEATHERS by S. David
Scott and Casey McFarland; I have been a feather observer since my childhood
and this book has helped me identify/confirm several feathers found in my yard
or on walks.  There are also a couple of great feather ID websites that are
interactive.

Carol Weston
columbia,MO