We have about a dozen Purple Martins flying over our soccer field on campus today.

Scott Laurent
Kansas City, Mo
Jackson County

On Aug 5, 2011, at 10:19 AM, Chris Corben <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

On 08/05/2011 09:31 AM, Susan Hazelwood wrote:

Purple Martins were also staging on the power line wires along the Star School Rd entrance to Eagle Bluffs Conservation Area yesterday evening in southern Boone County. I counted nearly 100 birds in this area. Like Lester writes, these are migrants as there is limited martin housing in the immediate area.

I have been pleasantly surprised at the number of Purple Martins right in central Columbia this year. I don't know if that is unusual or not, because I have been around a bit more this summer than usual. But any evening I look up at home (near College and Paris) I am sure to see several (perhaps 20) flying overhead, and they are certainly more common than Chimney Swifts, but that's only because the school next door pulled down its chimney, which was a major focal point for swifts (I estimated over 20,000 one evening a few years ago in September). I also frequently see Purple Martins right in the city center in the evenings, with flocks sometimes seen roosting on top of the higher buildings there.

Certainly, I am seeing far more of them than previously at home. Any comments from others?

Cheers, Chris.