The end of July brings the close of the summer season (June 1 - July
31). Please take some time to sort through your sightings for this
period and send me your Spring Seasonal Report before August 10.
Contact information is listed at the end of this e-mail.

Your seasonal report should include significant sightings during the
period. Examples of "significant sightings" include:

-- any species listed as "rare", "casual", or "accidental" on the
Annotated Checklist of Missouri Birds <http://mobirds.org/MBRC/MOChecklist.asp
 >;

-- record early or late dates;

-- high counts or unusually low counts (also include a note if a
species usually present in your area during this period appeared to be
completely absent or unusually abundant).

Information about weather events in your area will also help me paint
a better picture of the spring migration across the state. I will be
particularly interested this year in knowing how flooding may have
affected your area.

PREFERRED FORMAT -- An Excel document with the following data: 1)
Species; 2) Reason Included; 3) Number observed; 4) Date; 5) Location
(i.e. park, residence, city, etc.); 6) County; 7) Observer(s); and 8)
Additional Notes (such as age/sex, notes about how you arrived at a
particularly difficult identification, and whether you submitted
documentation for casual or accidental species)

If you would like a sample Excel document to get you started, please
let me know.

NOTE: If you do not use Excel, you can simply send me a text file (MS
Word, etc.) using commas to separate the data. Example: Black-bellied
Whistling-Duck, listed as casual, 1, 29 May 2010, ABC Lake, Clay,
Kristi Mayo, Observed in flight

PHOTOS -- Submission of photos showing your significant sightings
through the season is encouraged. These images will be considered for
publication alongside the final Spring Seasonal Report. High-
resolution images can be e-mailed in JPEG format.

The data you provide is used to produce the regional report published
in the American Birding Association's "journal of record for birders,"
North American Birds; and a summary of sightings is also published in
the ASM's quarterly publication, The Bluebird.

PLEASE REMEMBER -- Your sightings must be submitted directly to me in
order to be considered for inclusion in the final seasonal report.
Sightings posted only to MOBIRDS-L will not be included in the report.

Please send your sightings to me at one of the addresses below before
Wednesday, August 10. I will reply to each e-mail to confirm receipt.
If you don't hear back from me, please try again so that your records
do not get lost.

Kristi Mayo
Summer Seasonal Report Editor

e-mail: