No luck spotting the Ruddy Turnstone Saturday afternoon between 330pm and 415pm approximately.  Baby ducklings, both Woodies and Mallards and parents present; Killdeer, Solitary, Pectoral Sandpipers.  E Meadowlarks singing, E Phoebe, E Starlings, RW Blackbirds, RT Hawks soaring.  The temps were down to the upper 70's though some humidity remained after rain.

Jackie Chain
St Louis County

--- On Sat, 7/30/11, David Marjamaa <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

From: David Marjamaa <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Simpson Lake Shorebirds
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Saturday, July 30, 2011, 11:49 AM

I was out at the containment treatment ponds to the west of Simpson Lake for about an hour at 7 a.m. this morning.  It was 81 degrees, but the humidity was reported for the area to be 89%.  The lower temp wasn't anymore comfortable than the previous 100 degrees.

There were about 20 Canada Geese, about 40 Wood Ducks (females & ducklings), and about 60 Mallards (females & ducklings).  I saw one Green Heron and three Eastern Meadowlarks.

There were many Killdeer.  I also saw about seven Pectoral Sandpipers, several Spotted Sandpipers, several Least Sandpipers, and a Ruddy Turnstone.  The Killdeer were everywhere.  The water in the ponds was low and mudbars were prominent.  The Turnstone and the Sandpipers were on a mud peninsula at the far northwest area of most west pond.

David Marjamaa
Manchester, MO