I have GRCA nesting next door for last few years. One was singing in my backyard this eve. I noticed this spring when the male got here he feed very frequently on sunflower seeds from the feeders. This continued into early summer, but now only see them feeding from the suet.

Steve Kinder
Chillicothe, Livingston Co.

From: Amy J. Hoffman <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Mon, July 11, 2011 8:48:50 AM
Subject: Do gray catbirds eat seed?

This morning, as soon as I filled my work feeder, I had birds (including my painted bunting) flying in to get breakfast. I noticed a gray catbird hanging out near the feeder. That's my favorite backyard bird, so I was pleased to see him, but I didn't think much more of it until a little later when I saw him taking off from the feeder. I didn't see if he was actually eating the seeds (just a basic mix - it does have some raisens). Maybe he was trying to get at a bug down there, but I wondered whether anyone has every seen a catbird eat seeds. They're just into bugs and fruit, right?

Amy J. Hoffman
Jefferson City
Cole County

Food helps those who help themselves.