    I would like to comment on the Scissor-tailed Flycatcher nest with
    four young that Al showed us.  Those sure look nearly RTF ready to
    fledge to me.  Scissor-tails fledge at about 15 days per literature and
    per experience (four nests that I recall).

    Both parents feed the young both during the nesting stage and
    after.  I observed a parent feeding a fledged one on the MSSU campus
    last summer.  If it was from the nest nearby then the parent was still
    feeding three weeks after fledging!

    It will be interesting to see if one surviving parent can feed all those
    guys for three weeks or more.  Hopefully someone over there can watch
    that for us and report back.

    That tree looked like in Al's photos to be all by itself.  So, also from
    a tiny bit of experience, the young may stay in that tree after they fledge.

    There were two Scissor-tail nests on the MSSU campus last summer.
    I haven't had time to check this year, but there are plenty of Scissor-tails
    around.

    Larry Herbert,  Joplin, Jasper County, MO.  certhiaATatt.net      7-7-11