Wow, I've been house-hunting too long in Johnson County, KS. It was Jackson
County, MO, where I saw the Chat. Sorry for the mixup!

Heidi

________________________________
From: Heidi Retherford <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wed, July 6, 2011 11:00:31 AM
Subject: Yellow-breasted chat in Johnson County

    This past Saturday I went to a spot Jim Zellmer had told me about north of
Burr Oak Woods in Blue Springs where he had seen Scissor-tailed Flycatchers and
a possible Blue Grosbeak. While I didn't find the birds I was looking for, there
was a very vocal Yellow-breasted Chat south of the parking lot on the south side
of Strode Rd, about 1/2 mile west of Highway 7. This is a great spot for
Dicksissels, Indigo Buntings, Yellow-billed Cuckoos, and Field Sparrows. Make
sure to spray up before walking the paths - Jim was right about it being a wood
ticky area!

Happy Birding!

Heidi Retherford
Independence, MO

P.S. I think the Blue Grosbeak may have been there earlier in the week in some
cedar trees to the west of the parking lot, but I only caught a glimpse as it
flew off.