If you want a little more afield, and some different habitats, try Maintz Conservation Area near Millersville, which is farm-type habitat. Right now, there is a lot of waterbird habitat along the Diversion Channel (access points are just east of I-55 south of Cape, various points along Hwy 74 between Cape and Dutchtown, and along A Hwy to Allenville. I noted the other day that the levee road along the Diversion Channel is open (take Hwy 25 south of Dutchtown, turn right after you cross the Diversion Channel. There is a large Cliff Swallow colony under this bridge. There are also Lake Girardeau near Crump and Apple Creek Conservation Area near New Wells.

A bit farther south, you can find a unique habitat and some open-country birds at Sand Prairie Conservation Area east of Benton in Scott Co. Let us know what birds you might want to find, and we can give more specific information.

----Bill Eddleman, Cape Girardeau

From: Missouri Wild Bird Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of David Starrett
Sent: Wednesday, July 06, 2011 12:37 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Need advice on birding near Cape G- (no sightings)

Jeff,

I am replying to you on list.  If you want very close, Cape County Park is very convenient, depending where you are staying, it will be minutes away.  Trail of Tears is ~20 minutes north of town but would be great place to bird.  You can stop at Juden Creek on the way out there.  If you want more details,  directions, what can be seen, etc., feel free to email me off (or on) list.  There are other Cape Girardeauians on the list who may chime in as well.

Dave

David Starrett
Cape Girardeau, MO