Last year driving up to Clarence Cannon NWR on Highway 79, I saw a few Cattle Egrets riding on the backs and down amongst the hooves of a small mixed herd of cattle (well they weren't really being herded).  It reminded me of my first pre-birding sighting of Cattle Egrets while on a trip to St Thomas USVI many years ago. The egrets must fill some of the same symbiotic functions as oxpeckers in Africa, helping the hosts get rid of irritating pests while finding munchies for themselves.

Jackie Chain
St Louis County

--- On Mon, 7/4/11, Ken Thompson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

From: Ken Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: IL bird: cattle egret amongst the Angus
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Monday, July 4, 2011, 6:23 PM

Seen today along the Great River Road, between Pere Marquette SP  camping
area and the riding stables.  There's a farm with a feedlot, small herd of
Angus cattle, and a cattle egret stalking around in the midst of the herd.
Interesting.

Ken Thompson  ([log in to unmask]" ymailto="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask])
Moline Acres (North StLouis County) MO