Yesterday Paul and I went to check the Western Kingbirds in the Bridgeton
area. We spotted one high in a bare tree over Gist Road and then 4/10 mile
farther two more at the curve, junction of Fee Fee and Gist.

Just south of the sub-station, 1/4 mile south of McDonnell Blvd on Fee Fee,
three more were found. The nest looked abandoned, so one of the three might
of been a youngster.

At the Bridgeton ball park one adult was seen with three young'uns in the
nest on telephone pole by the handball court.

Over the levee at the end of St. Charles Rock Road was one adult with two on
the nest.  This is the same telephone pole as previous years.

After seeing 8 adult and 5 young Western Kingbirds we headed to Hwy N and 40
in St. Charles County to look for the Scissor-tailed Flycatchers. We parked
at the large pavement spur on Hwy N just north of 40 and saw a
Scissor-tailed Flycatcher flying on south side of Hwy N to the large Hickory
tree. It took a couple more fly-ins to locate the nest high in the tree.
Great views of the nest can be seen with a scope from the large pavement
spur. It fed a couple times behind us on the east side of Hwy N dodging
traffic as it crossed the road, scary.

Locations of all these areas can be seen on the map here.
http://maps.smugmug.com/?feedType=geoAlbum&Data=17852260_7DhKH5
The large pavement spur on Hwy N can be seen on the map.  From there look at
the top of the openings in the center towards the tree top.  It's on an
almost vertical branch pointing 11:30 where it makes a slight crook to the
left.  Very difficult to see without zooming in.

Videos of the STFL nest and photos can be seen here.
http://smu.gs/lgmvDc
Videos and photos of the STFL shot at 1000mm from the shoulder of Hwy N.

Al Smith
Bridgeton, St. Louis County
http://www.photosbyat.com
http://MoBirds.smugmug.com  (admin)