This morning I visited Loutre Lick Access (Montgomery Co.). I didn't find anything earth shattering there, but I did encounter a nice group of birds including: BARRED OWL, ACADIAN FLYCATCHER, YELLOW-THROATED VIREO, PILEATED WOODPECKER, YELLOW-THROATED WARBLER, AMERICAN REDSTART, WOOD THRUSH, etc. I think my total for 25 minutes was about 45 species.

From the northeast corner of Exit 170 on I-70 I heard a PRAIRIE WARBLER singing as I made my turn to visit Graham Cave SP. Graham Cave SP held essentially the same birds as Loutre Lick.

On my way home I spent about an hour at Whetstone Creek CA (Callaway Co.) to casually bird and fish in the creek a little bit. Fishing was great if you enjoy catching 5" Green Sunfish on every cast, and the birding wasn't too bad for a hot July morning. eBird tells me my total for the morning there was 54 species. Highlights were: NORTHERN BOBWHITE, KENTUCKY WARBLER, OVENBIRD, BELL'S VIREO, ACADIAN FLYCATCHER, LOUISIANA WATERTHRUSH, BLUE GROSBEAK, YELLOW-THROATED WARBLER, etc.

Good birding,
Ryan

Ryan Douglas
Postdoctoral Fellow