DYNAMICS OF TRANSFORMATION

Intimation
  a) 'Silence' (1910)
  b) In the Hyacinth garden: "looking into the heart of light, the silence"

Aspiration
  'La Figlia': "Stand on the highest pavement of the stair..."
  'Ash-Wednesday': "to construct something ['holy and permanent'] / Upon which to rejoice"

Visions of Transformation:

  In the protagonist
  a) mystic/ascetic: "Lady, three white leopards ...This is the land. We have our inheritance."
  b) stairs of purgatory: "Struggling with the devil of the stairs ..."

  In the beloved
 "Who walked between the violet and the violet ...
  Talking of trivial things
  In ignorance and knowledge of eternal dolour
  Who moved among the others as they walked,
  Who then made strong the fountains and made fresh the springs
  Made cool the dry rock and made firm the sand
  In blue of larkspur, blue of Mary's colour"

The vision of the Word

  "If the lost word is lost, if the spent word is spent
   If the unheard, unspoken
   Word is unspoken, unheard;
   Still is the unspoken word, the Word unheard,
   The Word without a word, the Word within
   The world and for the world;
   And the light shone in darkness and
   Against the Word the unstilled world still whirled
   About the centre of the silent Word."

The actual Ordeal

  "In this brief transit where the dreams cross
   The dreamcrossed twilight between birth and dying ..."

   "The desert in the garden the garden in the desert"

"Where prayer has been valid"

  "Blessed sister, holy mother ...
   Suffer me not to be separated"

-----