Excellent. Thank you both.
I always admire the clarity of Eliot's directness.

P.
----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Chokh Raj
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, July 05, 2011 7:15 PM
Subject: Re: US celebrates 4th

Thanks, Pete.

Here's the relevant excerpt from the interview with Donald Hall:

-----

ELIOT

I'd say that my poetry has obviously more in common with my distinguished contemporaries in America than with anything written in my generation in England. That I'm sure of.

INTERVIEWER

Do you think there's a connection with the American past?

ELIOT

Yes, but I couldn't put it any more definitely than that, you see. It wouldn't be what it is, and I imagine it wouldn't be so good; putting it as modestly as I can, it wouldn't be what it is if I'd been born in England, and it wouldn't be what it is if I'd stayed in America. It's a combination of things. But in its sources, in its emotional springs, it comes from America.

-----

Regards,
 CR