From: [log in to unmask] href="http:[log in to unmask]" rel=nofollow target=_blank ymailto="mailto:[log in to unmask]">David Boyd
To: [log in to unmask] href="http:[log in to unmask]" rel=nofollow target=_blank ymailto="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Monday, July 04, 2011 11:48 PM
Subject: Re: electric heat, deep lane in East Coker

Might be worth observing - this part of England is hardly tropical, or anything at all like it, so the 'electric heat' would have been very unusual indeed.

There were big heatwaves in England in 1930 and in 1932, but nothing unusual around 1937, when Eliot is supposed to have visited his ancestral village.

Of course, he might well have been there prior to 1937 and have been recalling the place being in the grip of a heat wave.

The English climate is typically cool and wet, but yo-yos between very  soggy and sultry extremes
- see for example this place, around 20 miles away from me as crows fly.