New England roads are not, as it happens, deep lanes--the only
comparison might be the trees growing high and over the road. But they
look nothing like English country lanes with high hedges. Moreover,
Eliot was deliberately going to East Coker--it was not, as in Frost, a
choice on a walk that might go anywhere.

What is the point here?

Also, seeing doubles is not much like any mystic literature I've read
(that is, what Eliot used among others). How is Prufrock's mad,
hysterical (clinical term then that included such experiences) vision an
example of mysticism?
Nancy

>>> Chokh Raj 07/03/11 12:13 PM >>>
"electric heat" vis-a-vis "deep lane"

cf. Frost

"Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;
... ... ...
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."

-----

mystic madness

"And when the dawn at length had realized itself
And turned with a sense of nausea, to see what it had stirred:
The eyes and feet of men --
I fumbled to the window to experience the world
And to hear my Madness singing, sitting on the kerbstone
[A blind old drunken man who sings and mutters,
With broken boot heels stained in many gutters]
and as he sang the world began to fall apart ...

"Falling towers
Jerusalem Athens Alexandria
Vienna London
Unreal"

nil nisi divinum stabile est; caetera fumus

"O lord, have patience"

"In my beginning is my end".

-----

Thanks,