From: Doug Willis <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tue, June 21, 2011 12:02:13 PM
Subject: Re: SE Arizona fire

All:
Just wanted to offer another perspective on the situation in southeast Arizona.
As heartbreaking as it may be to some; fire is a natural, essential process that
often has a restorative ecological effect. Many of the large conifers in the
region actually require a fire to open the cones in order to germinate. Some
species of woodpecker will thrive on the burnt trees. The soils are
enriched...the land may be renewed. The birds will likely adapt to the fire and
to the changes in the habitat...the people may have a much tougher time.
What we may really be lamenting is the loss of BIRDER habitat, not bird
habitat...(The two can overlap, but are not necessarily the same thing).
Although it isn't very practical, a large-scaled controlled burn in the Ozark
forests of southern Missouri would likely be the best possible medicine for a
less-than-fully healthy ecosystem. I'm sure the Bachman's Sparrows would
appreciate it.

Many of us know of the importance of fire on a tallgrass prarie. I'm sure the
decline of the Greater Prairie Chicken in northern and western Missouri  is a
direct result of a lack of fire and grazing by large buffalo-type creatures (and
the resulting fragmentation of the prairie). Fire is essential to the long-term
health of a prairie ecosystem.
The loss of personal property due to a large fire is often tragic and
regrettable through the eyes of our species. By successfully supressing fires
for many decades, we have unwittingly created ideal conditions for a monster
fire like the one currently raging in southeast Arizona, which is probably more
harmful to homo sapiens than it is to Berryline Hummingbirds...
Doug Willis
Liberty, MO