I’d like to remind everyone that all these books can usually be purchased from your local non profit nature shop.  Right now, Friends of Squaw Creek Nature Shop has most of these in stock.  Non profit means no sales tax which means it saves you money and you are supporting local nature and conservation locations.

From: Missouri Wild Bird Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Doug Willis
Sent: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 10:44 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Learning Shorebirds/Field Guides

Mobirders:

Following Charlene's links, I would recommend "The Shorebird Guide," by Michael O'Brien. I believe this is the best shorebird guide out there right now (haven't seen Chandler's, though). Killer introduction that does a great job explaining the molt cycles/aging of shorebirds (gotta know that for some of the more difficult ID's). Excellent species accounts with lots of photos showing different plumages. Unbelieveable section on rare shorebirds (Ruff, Stints, Redshanks, Greenshanks, etc.).

Also, Dennis Paulson's "Shorebirds of North America: The Photographic Guide" is a good one.

These are the two shorebird guides that I use.

Also, to echo Charlene's comments, there is nothing better than field experience/identifying shorebirds on one's own in the field. However, I have found "birding by photo" to be instructive, as well. Studying photos that I've taken has enabled me to really solidify my knowledge of feather groups/topography and allowed me to get a better handle on the variation in plumages of many shorebirds.

Best,

Doug Willis

Liberty, MO

ASM Website: http://mobirds.org/